Saturday 10 August 2013

Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail - Stability Issues?

Recently upgraded the 12.04 LTS (long term support) version of my Ubuntu in my lap to 12.10 and then to 13.04. Just wanted to experience the richness of new features.

But the result was disappointing to me. It seems 13.04 ("nicknamed" Raring Ringtail) is too unstable. I like to compare this version release to that of MS Windows 7. Initially when released W7 was too unstable and later with the updates it became as stable as good old Win XP. Now I am getting frequent crash and error message pop-ups. More than the pop-ups, the feel of instability is hurting me bad. My 12.04 LTS was rock solid.

But wait: I recently dropped my lap on floor by accident. This can be a reason for the mis-behaviours from my new 13.04. It is not good to blame the software before solving the hardware issues - generally the generic ones like that of HDD or Memory. The OS can get errors at any point of time. Let me spend some time on fsck.ext4 commands. Will update this post once it is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment